KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

Monkeys!!!

I thought with the new Pirates of the Carribbean movie coming out, I'd make a plug for my favorite video game series of all time: Monkey Island. It is largely due to Monkey Island that I was so excited to see POTC when it first came out. My friends and I called it "Monkey Island the Movie." I'll explain why.

For those of you unfamiliar with the game series, it all began in 1990 when the inimitable Ron Gilbert designed The Secret of Monkey Island for LucasArts. The plot ran thus: Guybrush Threepwood becomes a pirate and rescues his love interest, the governor Elaine Marley, from the clutches of the undead pirate captain LeChuck and his crew of undead pirates. Sound familiar? Here are some pictures of the Monkey Island game art compared to POTC movie stills.

First off, we have Guybrush Threepwood and Will Turner:



Sure you say, but what does that prove?

Check this out. Here are Captain LeChuck and Captain Barbossa:


Hmm... What about the love interests?

Elaine Marley and Elizabeth Swan:




And don't forget in Dead Man's Chest when they go to the swamp to meet Tia Dalma (aka the Voodoo Lady) :








Anyway, I hope other people are tickled by this as much as I am.

Comments