KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

Journaling Luther

Okay, so I know my blog hasn't been really active for quite some time. Life happens. So for a while, all I've been posting are book reviews. I'm planning on beginning something more substantial though.

The upcoming year, 2017, is a special year for the history of the Church. On October 31, 1517 Martin Luther posted his 95 theses, sparking the Protestant Reformation in Germany. 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and in honor of the occasion I've set myself a project to complete. I'm going to keep a "Luther journal" as a sort of commonplace book and verbal scrapbook, and to fill it with notes, I'm planning on immersing myself in the world of Luther as much as possible over the next year. I'm starting by re-reading Roland Bainton's classic and authoritative Luther biography Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther, since I haven't read it since college and college seems to be continually drifting farther back in time. I have a few other books in mind to read about the time period, and I also plan on re-reading Luther's Bondage of the Will as well as several of his treatises. The big thing though is that I plan on reading through the complete sermons of Martin Luther to get a feel for Luther's pastoral heart.

So what that means for this blog is that I'll probably be posting lots of quotes from various sources that I copy into my journal and find interesting enough to share here as well.

Also, just for fun, here's a picture of me dressed as Martin Luther from way back in my days as a youth pastor.

Comments