KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

The Dragon's Tooth

I enjoyed N.D. Wilson's first foray into fantasy fiction with the "100 Cupboards" series, but it seemed like he was still getting his bearings in those books. The first of the series, 100 Cupboards, was a bit slow and draggy, the second, Dandelion Fire, had so many tangled plot-lines that it was nearly impossible to follow. It was only in the third book, The Chestnut King, that he fully found his voice, and it was great.

The Dragon's Tooth, the first book in Wilson's "Ashtown Burials" series, is better than his three previous fantasy books combined. It was fun, smart, and way more intense than I expected. The plot never feels contrived, but still keeps the reader in suspense at every step. References to history, mythology, cryptozoology, secret societies and classic literature abound! I'm definitely going to look for the next book in the series now.


As a note, it's probably a little too violent and disturbing for the under-10 crowd.

Comments

Erica said…
This is on my ridiculously long reading list.

Also, on a similar note, I noticed Jerry Jenkins is trying his hand at children's fantasy literature. (That isn't Left Behind). I've yet to check it out since I'm not sure if LB's atrocious writing was Jenkins or LaHaye's fault...