KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

How to See the World Rightly

"For as the aged, or those whose sight is defective, when any books however fair, is set before them, though they perceive that there is something written are scarcely able to make out two consecutive words, but, when aided by glasses, begin to read distinctly, so Scripture, gathering together the impressions of Deity, which, till then, lay confused in our minds, dissipates the darkness, and shows us the true God clearly."

(John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion, 1.6.1, Henry Beveridge, trans.)

"O grace abundant, by which I presumed
To fix my sight upon the Light Eternal,
So that the seeing I consumed therein!
I saw that in its depth far down is lying
Bound up with love together in one volume,
What through the universe in leaves is scattered;
Substance, and accident, and their operations,
All interfused together in such wise
That what I speak of is one simple light.
The universal fashion of this knot
Methinks I saw, since more abundantly
In saying this I feel that I rejoice."

(Dante Alighieri, Pardiso , Canto 33, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, trans.)


"The Ultimate Book" by François Schuiten

Comments