KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

Marathon Anniversary

A couple of years ago, I read The Histories by the father of history himself, Herodotus. It is a highly entertaining book that covers the history of the Persian empire leading up to the famous Persian War between Greece and Persia. It is here that we get the stories of the Battle of Marathon, the 300 Spartans, and Plataea among many other delightful rabbit trails and anecdotes. I read the Aubrey de Selincourt translation published by Penguin Classics, but I had been coveting the Landmark Edition of Herodotus ever since I heard it was published. Having read the Landmark Thucydides, I knew that it would be a real treat to be able to read the Landmark Herodotus as well. So, when my wonderful wife got me a Barnes and Noble gift card for Valentine's Day I ordered a copy which is now sitting on my shelf as I wait with eager anticipation to get to it.

In the meantime, I'm listening to a series of lectures put on by professors from various colleges in honor of the 2500th anniversary of the Battle of Marathon. There is about a lecture a month given live online for free, and the mp3s are afterward uploaded to the website for download. If Greek history interests you, check out the lectures here and get a copy of Herodotus' Histories.

Comments