KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

What He Must Be

I just finished the book, What He Must Be...if He Wishes to Marry My Daughter by Voddie Baucham, Jr. It was an excellent book on so many levels that it's hard to know precisely how to recommend it. Ostensibly it is a book for fathers concerning what traits to look for in a future son-in-law. In reality it is much more.


Parents should read this book in order to consider how to raise their boys to be godly husbands and fathers. They should also read to find out how to raise daughters who will desire such men as husbands. Young men should read this book to think about what type of men they need to be to measure up as a godly husband and father. Young women should read this book in order to consider what to look for in a husband. I found this book particularly helpful in reminding me of my own duties as a husband to my wife, and what roles I must fulfill for her.

Voddie Baucham writes with such a conversational voice that reading his book feels like getting advice from a friend. Along the way he confronts many of the problems that cause broken marriages in our culture today, attacks our culture's disdain for the blessing of children, and deals with racism among Christians. I find myself hard pressed to think of anyone for whom this book would not be a good call to action or reminder of duty.

Comments