KC Podcast - Episode 117: Passing the Baton

The Colour of Magic

I'll try to make this post somewhat coherent, but it will be difficult. So there's this British writer, Terry Pratchett, and he's funny. Really funny. I was first introduced to him via a video game in college. The game was Discworld. After playing both Discworld games and getting a feel for Pratchett's sense of humor, my roommate encouraged me to actually read one of his books. The first book in the series, in fact. The Colour of Magic.

Though I never went all out and read every book Pratchett wrote, I still fondly remember dear Rincewind and his misadventures all over the Disc. So, you can imagine how happy I was when I realized that other ostensibly respectable Reformed folk appreciated the greatness of it all. When asked in an interview what story he would most like to live in, Nate Wilson replied, "I would love to live (could I just visit?) in Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Especially if I got to stick close to Sam Vimes, and if I could still hear Pratchett's narration while I wandered the streets of Ank-Morpork." Simply awesome.

Back near Christmas, my wife and I caught part of a movie on TV featuring what was unmistakeably Terry Pratchett's "Death". It turned out to be a movie based on the Discworld book Hogfather. Which made me greatly wish that someone would make a movie with the character Rincewind. Which is why I'm so excited to see this!

Comments